Thursday, November 11, 2010

I need to update, because, I haven't done so since school started and it's week ten already. HAHAHA. I have not kept to my resolution of blogging more often!

Time flies so quickly when you're busy. Work upon work, assignment upon assignment, exams upon exams. You hardly have time to breathe, pause and think. You just go go go with the flow flow flow! I realized, if we don't take the time to do that extra something in our everyday lives, it'll just go by uneventfully. And I mean, our memories would be so unexciting... We really have to stop and do the things we like to do. We need to have the passion to do things and not think about how doing that one thing will take up too much of our time and effort. If you love to paint, find the time to paint. If you love to picnic, wake up earlier on a Saturday morning to prepare food and actually head out to a park/beach! If we keep focussing on how much the efforts outweigh the benefits, we'll never get down to doing the things we like and life would just pass us by. We need to remember that it is because of the efforts that go into preparing for something, and the actual something that occurs, that these occurrences become wonderful memories etched in our minds. Otherwise, years on, we'll regret not enjoying the beautiful little things like the trees and the flowers that surround us because of our busy and hectic lives. We need to STOP, and think before life zooms past us.

And just so you guys know, I've been cooking recently because I've realized how fun it is. I get a huge sense of satisfaction from preparing the ingredients to the actual cooking. My favourite channels are Asian Food Channel and Food Network. :D These are the only two channels I watch on TV now. HAHAHA. Discover what you're passionate in doing and enjoy!

Today I went to the Botanic Gardens for another field trip. Our third visit there this semester. I must say, I'm getting quite well acquainted with the plants there... No, what am I talking about. There must be a million kinds of plants in the garden. And I don't know all. I don't see how my prof can know ALL the names of the plants, their life cycles, structures, pollinators, etc. Like, WOW. That's passion alright! No wonder he's the president of our country's nature society. Speaking about passion, another prof of mine is an 'authority' in sea turtles and he was just showing us the other day Powerpoint slides of his sea turtle experiments and expeditions. They all looked so fun and interesting! He spoke with such enthusiasm, it was so infective! These are truly people who are so engaged and driven in their field of interest.

I really thank God He placed me in NIE. Really. I used to have issues about it, but now, I really thank Him. Firstly, I've got such great/awesome profs who are the top-notches in their fields of expertise. Not only do they know their stuff in depth, they teach it well and they inspire us. They care that we love what they love. They want to spread their enthusiasm on. I actually like going to school because of them. There's just a wealth of knowledge in and about them that you just want to be with them to know more. And they are so willing to pass it on to you! You could have discussions with them for hours on end and I bet they wouldn't mind because they'd be talking about the stuff they're so hyped up about and want to get you hyped up on too. They have really inspired me and I want to be just like them in future when I teach. Can I? I'll be teaching younger people who may not already be interested in the subject I'll be teaching. Will they be as excited as I am now? I guess I'll only know when I start teaching. So, I'm really glad I am where I am now. I hear from friends that some of their profs teach without much passion, like, they simply teach because they have to as part of their career as researchers. The universities fund them and so they teach because they have to meet a quota of teaching hours as 'pay-back'. So they aren't really interested in the teaching bit, only in their own research. When I hear stuff like this I get so sad... Then again, maybe other college students don't need professors to stimulate their love for the subject. I'm thankful though that I have professors who do!

Okay, enough about how great school is. I'm tired after my readings so I'm gonna hit the sack now. My bed in calling out to me... It's 1:21 am! YIKES. Good thing I don't have school tomorrow.

Carpe Diem, Seize the day folks!

Good night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home